Row 80 Goals–Round 1/2012
It’s round one of ROW 80 and I hardly know where to begin. As usual, I have a ton of things I’d like to do NOW. My dreamer side is busy throwing out ideas and my inner overachiever is salivating at the prospect of accomplishing superhuman feats on a daily basis. Those two often get me in trouble. I end up setting goals that are way too big. Then when it doesn’t work out, and it rarely does, I’m left feeling at a loss. But that’s not what ROW 80 is about, is it?
Nope. So, I sent the dreamer to see the pragmatist. She wasn’t very happy about it, but it had to be done. After lots of arm folding, whining, finger wagging, hair pulling , and tears, this is the plan:
- Writing at least 250 words every single day.
- One finished short story.
- I’m so ready to be done with the plot drill. That requires analyzing 3 1/2 novels this round. This is my main focus. I need to finish this before I really move on to other areas of study.
- One non-ROW related blog post per week. I’m thinking Thursdays and it will most likely be focused on wellness.
- Read Story Engineering by Larry Brooks.
The dreamer and the pragmatist are not quite friends yet. Dreamer keeps staring longingly at the overachiever who is standing outside the window with her nose pressed up against the glass. The pragmatist doesn’t take it personally. She knows that dreamer will always have a flair for the dramatic and that the overachiever understands dreamer in a way that she never will. The pragmatist bides her time knowing that dreamer will learn to appreciate her contribution one day. The dreamer is skeptical, but she’ll be a believer sooner than even she thinks.
Let’s Rock the ROW!